This elegant two-story Dutch-Colonial Revival home was built in 1925 in Alhambra’s Orange Blossom Manor Tract by newspaper publisher Edward S. Kellogg and his second wife, Cecil. The design of the home is the work of prominent local architect, Scott Quintin, and was intended to resemble a classic Flemish farmhouse.
Scott Quintin established his architectural practice in Los Angeles in 1910. Later, upon returning from service in the First World War, he and his associate, Thomas Kerr, opened an office at Garfield & Main Street in Alhambra. Quintin’s career spanned more than 50 years and included the design of numerous churches, schools, public buildings and residences throughout Southern California. Many of these structures still stand, including the former Elks Lodge at the corner of Main and Almansor (later, home to the YMCA); and the former Bond-Mortgage Building at the corner of Main and Second Street (now the Alhambra Beauty College).
Edward Kellogg was born in Ohio in 1878, the youngest of seven children. He got his start in the newspaper business at the Minneapolis Daily News thanks to his older brother, Frederick W. Kellogg, who was the founder and part owner of several Midwestern newspapers. The brothers later extended their business interests to Los Angeles County, where Kellogg Newspapers, Inc. grew to include daily papers in eleven communities. When Edward and Cecil hired Quintin to design their new home, Edward was the publisher of the Alhambra Post-Advocate, and the Kelloggs were among the most prominent members of the community.