On a hilltop, overlooking southwest Alhambra, sits a fabulous castle. The dense walls of the Pyrenees Castle embrace much history. In 1926, Sylvester Dupuy’s dream of building a castle had come true. The Pyrenees Castle was the culmination of his childhod dream to build a replica of a beautiful chateau he had admired when growing up in Southern France. Dupuy came to America and made his fortune in agriculture. When the time came to build his castle, he hired architects and workers to plan and build, and artisans were brought from Europe to complete the interior.
Dupuy’s $250,000 vision was built of concrete and steel. The castle’s walls were 3-feet thick at the foundation and 1-foot wide at the eaves. It had 10 bedrooms, 8 fully-tiled bathrooms with Italian marble floors, a game room, a breakfast room, an office, dens, service and utility rooms, a large basement, an extensive balcony, covered patios and a large wine cellar in which the Dupuy family made its own wine. Magnificent chandeliers, crystal sconces, gorgeous wood paneling, beautiful hardwood floors, a marbled center hall and a courtyard with a huge water fountain embellished the palace. The 3-acre property also included tennis courts, playgrounds for children and towers guarding its strategic corners.
Landscaping of the grounds was never completed, however. Dupuy lost most of his fortune in oil investments shortly before his death in 1936. He left the family home to his widow and his children: Marie, Henry and Frank. His children sold the castle in 1946, and the new owner converted the castle into an eight-unit apartment dwelling. Dupuy’s wife occupied one of the units until her death in 1949.